The Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel is a DNA multiplex assay that simultaneously identifies S. aureus, S. lugdunensis, other Staphylococcus species, and the mecA gene (for methicillin-resistance). The assay is unique in its ability to distinguish Coagulase-negative Staphylococci (CoNS), which may not require treatment with antibiotics, from pathogenic Staphylococci, and can therefore assist healthcare organizations with antimicrobial stewardship programs and campaigns. The Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel tests directly from positive blood cultures.
Need for Testing
Staph bacteria are one of the most common causes of healthcare-associated infections. Approximately 250,000 patients are diagnosed with bloodstream infections (BSIs) annually in the US.1 Staphylococcus bacteria in the bloodstream can cause serious, possibly fatal, infections: sepsis, pneumonia, endocarditis or osteomyelitis.
Implementing rapid results reporting for MRSA/MSSA blood cultures can lead to a 6.2-day reduction in length of stay and a $21,000 reduction in costs per patient.2
Fast and accurate diagnosis of Staph blood stream infections direct appropriate antimicrobial therapy, leading to improved patient outcomes, hospital cost savings and antimicrobial stewardship.
The CDC has identified a Core Prevention Strategy for Staph infection including:
- Facilities should have a mechanism for rapidly communicating positive MRSA results from laboratory to clinical area
Advantage of Great Basin’s Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel
- The Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel uses the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to amplify the genes that encode Staphylococcus aureus, other Staphylococcus species and the mecA gene, for methicillin-resistance, as well as Staphylococcus lugdunensis, a pathogenic coagulase negative Staphylococcus (CoNS)
- With traditional blood culture methods, nearly one third of all staph positive blood cultures are contaminants (CoNS) requiring several tests (over multiple days) to confirm results
- Great Basin’s Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel provides actionable information in ~2 hours after a patient has a positive blood culture with gram positive cocci in clusters or singles
The Great Basin System
Great Basin’s diagnostic system employs an integrated disposable cartridge containing all necessary reagents, and a bench-top analyzer that executes the assay, interprets the results and provides electronic output to the clinician.
- True sample-to-result with few hands-on steps
- On-demand testing; no batching of tests that delay results
- Multiplexes up to 64 distinct targets in a single assay
- Results in under 2 hours
Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel sample-to-result assay
- Detects aureus, other Staphylococcus species, S. lugdunensis and the mecA gene (for methicillin-resistance) directly from positive blood cultures
- Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel provides efficient and accurate results in approximately 120 minutes
- Actionable results: The sensitivity and speed of Great Basin’s Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel allows for accurate patient antimicrobial therapy decisions, improving patient outcomes, reducing healthcare costs, and combatting emerging antimicrobial resistance
1 Seifert H. 2009. Clin Infect Dis, 48 (Supplement 4):S238-45
2 Bauer, et al. 2010. Clin Infect Dis, 51:1074-80
For more information on the Great Basin Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel, or to purchase our system, please contact Great Basin Sales