How Great Basin Scientific helps with your Antimicrobial Stewardship program
The CDC estimates that there are 47 million unnecessary prescriptions for antibiotics written each year in the U.S., and that over 10 million Americans will die from untreatable superbugs by 2050.
Great Basin’s Staph ID/R panel is the only rapid blood culture product currently on the market that specifically distinguishes CoNS from MRSA/MSSA, enabling hospitals to correctly administer antibiotics when there is a true infection versus administering treatment empirically. Rapid blood culture testing has been shown to expedite time to optimal therapy leading to reduced antibiotic resistance, reduced costs and improved patient outcomes. The Great Basin Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel provides results in hours, as opposed to days using only traditional methods, to aid in the proper treatment protocols for patients.
Staph ID/Resistance (SIDR) Blood Culture Panel detects:
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Staphylococcus lugdunensis
- 37 additional Staphylococcus species to the genus level
- mecA resistance gene
Key Advantages of Great Basin’s Staph ID/R Blood Culture Panel:
- One-step, true sample-to-result
- Results in less than 2 hours
- Can be performed by all shifts
- Cost benefits to hospitals and shorter stays for patients. One study found that associated patient costs from rapid intervention went from $45,709 to $26,162, while mean length of stay went from ~11 days to ~9 days